Saturday, June 28, 2008

Tired

The last two days, have been hard to wake up as I role over feeling like a freight train ran over me. So I am taking the whole day and resting. I will take the Jeep up a 4x4 trail to do some reading around sunset, but other than that, I plan to relax and catch up on my blog.

This last week has proved to be difficult in ways I did not imagine. I was a floater (or a flying squirrel as we like to call it). This means that I play more of the servant role to my boss and the guide team who directs the group trips. Most of the time it means you get to relax a bit more, which I did, but there were a ton of big projects to get done. Two of the weatherports on the side of the mountain collapsed this winter due to the heavy snow. So instead of rebuilding, it was decided to completely abandon the sites. So myself and a few other flying squirrels had the job of hauling off all the old lumber and trash so that the site would look as if nothing was ever there.

Physically the job demanded a lot. That is why I feel like I got hit with a thousand jack hammers. We hauled load after load up and down the mountain for two days. It was tough and it was hot. But, that wasn’t the most difficult part….

We run a challenge camp. That means we challenge everyone to push themselves mentally, physically, and spiritually to the breaking point. Then we gather together and talk about how we can use what we learn from the challenge and apply it to our walk with Christ. It paints and real and simple picture. My crew and I were challenged ourselves this week. Physically, we were pushed, and mentally and spiritually we broke down. There were a lot of negative attitudes. Personally, I enjoy hard work. I enjoy helping others and making things look great (thanks mom and dad for teaching me that, even though it took me years to enjoy hard work). But when others became so negative and frustrated it began to affect me. I began to ask, “why can’t they just have a good attitude and serve each other well?” Their attitudes frustrated me so bad that I began to detest them. So my attitude turned sour because I was judging from a self righteous position. The truth is, we were all in the wrong and our once tight group was ripped apart by our selfishness. Philippians 1:27 talks about how we, as citizens of heaven, should live in a manner worthy of the gospel of Christ. Chapter 2:1-4 says we should be united in one spirit and one mind and to “do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit. Rather, in humility value others above yourselves, not looking to your own interests but each of you to the interests of the others.” We failed miserably. But we came together and discussed what happened in love and we learned a valuable lesson.

In essence, this is what we do here at Redcloud with the youth groups and our team got a good dose of it this week. It is important that we are a team so that we can face the evil one. Please pray for our guide team this summer. Pray that we continue to stay united and “like minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and of one mind.” Continue to pray that we have strength and energy!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Dannon! I'm sorry that you are feeling like a freight train ran over you but I'm proud of you that you are keeping up the hard work! =)Mom and I start back work on Friday! I'm actually really excited to get busy again! We miss you and we love you and I hope you get this soon! =) Love you,

Nicole

christiefrey said...

Really Dannon, you need to update us and let us know how you're doing! :) Miss ya! ~Christie